August 10, 2012

Visitor Center Spectacular.

We kicked off the weekend with a tour of the Moody Mansion. I'm such a sucker for historical sites...I can't believe it took me 22 years to visit this place! I mean. Too bad we weren't allowed to take photos inside (THREE CAMERAS GUYZ)...we definitely snuck a few but they were pretty blurred, so... meh. ALSO when we were in the servants' hall I totally felt like I was living Downton Abbey. Well, the whole house felt like I was living Downton Abbey. All this magic in grubby ol' Galveston. Who knew? 
Then, we jetted to the Lonestar Flight Museum. Which was basically a warehouse full of planes. Which was actually pretty cool. And got exponentially cooler when I found a Cuban fighter plane; definitely made a scene and was all ummm HELLO FRIEND are you lost?! IT'S OK I LOVE YOU I'M HALF I LOVE YOU! And then there was a nameplate that read Richard Nixon (it was off by one letter, whatever) so you know. Basically it was a really great experience and I channeled my inner aircraft for the rest of the self-guided tour.  
Next stop was the Rosenburg Library! Well hello mini upstairs museum. Hello to you. And vintage toys in glass cases, and learning lots about antiquated things. Such a gorgeous building in general. You could smell the history. Also, there was no one around to take our picture in the beach scene. So we improved. Unsuccessfully, haha. 

PS the Visitor Center was right across the street so of course we went and I picked up one of every map ever and we stuck pins in the Where Are You From map. Apparently no one from Estonia has ever been to Galveston. Ever. I'm sure they were really excited to check that off their list. 
The Boyfriend was insistent that our trip wasn't complete without some time raccooning around the Elissa and the Texas Seaport Museum. So so serious about it. I think my favorite thing was the shrimp tags. It was really hot outside. I don't know. 
Galveston randoms! Those two giant sea creatures are mounted on top of the restaurants in front of our hotel...one of which has the same name as our hotel. Which is why when The Boyfriend told me where we were staying I was like ummm, a seafood restaurant? JUST KIDDING. 

Random sidenote: I think we crashed Bachelorette Party Weekend At The Strand or something because every bar we went to Saturday night was packed with veils and boas and I'M WITH THE BRIDE shirts. It was obnoxious/hilarious to watch from a safe distance.

Last stop on our 48hr Galveston roundup was the Collector's Gallery, aka my new FAVORITE antique shop...where I found a 1916 Minnesota Model A sewing machine! FOR SO CHEAP. Which I owe all to The BF for being such a great negotiator, ha. It's got all the parts, bits of the manual...I mean this is the most intact, working-condition antique machine I've ever seen in my life. When I saw it, it was game over. Jskaontheground. I cried a little bit lot. Tears of joy. So many tears of joy. I'm picking it up tomorrow (!!!) because it definitely was not about to fit in our car. That last picture is just a sneak peak but I'll share more when it's all cleaned up! I'M SO EXCITED. Greatest way to end our weekend getaway, ever. 

I hope your eyeballs haven't melted from staring at so many photos of someone else's vacation. I also hope you have a great weekend, whatever adventures you have planned! PS cleaning your house totally counts. 

8 comments:

  1. Uh, oh my gosh. You are terribly beautiful and I love all of these pictures and you and the boyf (yep) are adoooorabllleeeee. So many nice things. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why have I not been to that antique store?? omg. Where in Galveston is it? Not on the strand... I haven't seen it. *gah* must go soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GIRL get out there! The address is 2222 Postoffice St, Galveston, 77550. They have an etsy store too called Decades (owner: Justjunkin2) !!!

      Delete
    2. And they're on twitter too, apparently? @islandantiques

      Delete
  3. Your pictures are beautiful! Congratulations ... I loved your short! * _ *

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! (They're actually a pair of my brother's old jeans that I cut up...shh don't let him know that).

      Delete
  4. Thanks hun! Sometimes ya just need a quick local "vacation" to de-stress, ya know?

    ReplyDelete

You're so sweet (: Thanks friend!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...