March 14, 2012

A pi, a poet, a party, & parents.

Today is busy. There's a lot to celebrate. 

For one, it’s Pi Day. And it just so happens that I will actually be baking a pie (just not for this particular event, haha).

It’s also Kristjan Jaak Peterson’s 213th birthday. He was the first Estonian poet. His birthday is important because it later became a national holiday celebrating the Estonian language, aka Mother Tongue Day. The Boyfriend is originally from that itty bitty Baltic state and said he vaguely remembers this holiday growing up, but he went to a Russian-speaking school so it wasn’t as big of a thing, apparently.

People of note who were also born today:
  • The incredible Mr. Albert Einstein (1879)
  • Photographer Diane Arbus (1923) !!! …I LOVE HER WORK
  • Actor Michael Caine (1933)
  • The Jerry of Ben & Jerry’s, Jerry Greenfield (1951)
...One more thing took place on this eventful day, March 14.



My parents stood before an altar and declared their love for one another, vowing to be together for the rest of their lives. Twenty-five years and four children later, they're still going strong. The first time I heard this song, I was driving from San Marcos to Houston and bawled my eyes out because it was. So. Them. I feel incredibly fortunate to have a model of what lasting commitment looks like. The past few years have been especially rough on our family and I'm amazed at the strength and grace with which my parents have taken on challenge after challenge, be they medical, financial, etc. Current statistics being what they are, I sometimes question whether it’s still possible to have what they have. In moments of serious doubt, I look to the two beautiful people who raised me and say well, they’ve made it this far. There’s hope yet!  


Congratulations mom and dad…twenty-five is a huge milestone. I’m so proud and I love you both with my whole heart!








 
PS quick shout out to my friend in Mississippi who recently celebrated an anniversary with her boyfriend of four years. I'm so happy for you both!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're so sweet (: Thanks friend!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...